June 3, 2021
Annually the DDA:
- Works closely with the Village on notices and required reporting; including financial.
- Provides a Business Gathering including a meal using a local eatery. Cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19. This provides an opportunity for the businesses to connect with one another; any business owner may speak about what is going on with their business; and the DDA also provides information on activities that are taking place in the District. Hope to plan this later this year.
- Purchases the flowers for the entrances to the Village on M-86 and the pots downtown.
- Purchases the reflective signs at either end of the Village honoring State Championships from Centreville Public Schools.
- Is the largest donor to the Covered Bridge Days Festival. Also, cancelled in 2020. Scheduled this year on July 9 and 10.
- Since developing the Military Walk, the DDA replaces American Flags; and in 2020 instead of continuing to replace banners when weathered; damaged; or blown away metal signs were purchased to replace all of the banners and brackets. Also, the DDA sponsors an event on Veterans’ Day (cancelled in 2020) for all of our Veterans including walking with them along the Walk and providing refreshments if they are not donated. Normally there is a speaker as well.
- Coordinates with the Department of Public Works to have the Christmas Tree Lighting with Santa and refreshments at the DPW provided by volunteers. It was modified in 2020 due to COVID, but was still successful.
- Approves a budget for approval by the Village.
- Awards Façade and Business Grants when properly applied for and requires matching funds by the owners.
- Meets each month, usually on the first Thursday of the month.
- Develops the DDA News that is included with the monthly Village email and mailing.
- Forwards documents (minutes; treasurer’s report) and any other information to the Village on what took place at the DDA meeting.
- Delivers the Village and DDA News to the businesses.
As the need may arise.
- Replaces/purchases the welcome banners; Christmas banners; etc.
- Replaces lighting for poles for Christmas.
- Purchases new American Flags; brackets and signs for the Military Walk.
- Recommends appointment of DDA members, when there is a vacancy, to the Village for appointment.
- Often makes a significant contribution to the Village on a major project within the DDA District.
- Assisted financially with equipment for the Village as they maintain the DDA District.
- Timely provide information to the State Department of Treasury as required by the new law that took effect January 1, 2019.